Thursday 30 July 2015

WHY I LOVE SKETCHBOOKS





Pen and Watercolour on Paper


How could I live without my sketchbook?

Sketchbooks are creative people's best friends and I would advise everyone to get into the habit of using one.
A sketchbook is a book with blank pages that you can carry with you at all times and use it as your private place to draw, write, scribble or do whatever you want, there are no rules, and nobody will see it unless you want them to.
So, what's so great about them?
In a sketchbook you can:

  • write down or draw creative ideas before you forget them, 
  • develop ideas, for example try out compositions for a painting or drawing,
  • experiment with different mediums you are less familiar with, provided the paper you choose is suitable
  • use it as a visual diary, drawings help you remember experiences better
  • practise handwriting 
  • make lists
  • stick stuff in it
  • have fun, doodle and make a mess!



Watercolour on Paper


There is no right or wrong way to use a sketchbook.
Some people do a lot of writing in them, some consider it a proper form of art.
Check out artists like Andrea Joseph, Fabio Consoli     and Lapin , for example.


Pen and Watercolour on Fabriano Paper


Most of my pages are quite messy and I usually don't spend a lot of time on each drawing. I like to capture what I see around me and I often use it at home to relax or on days when I can't paint.

I carry a sketchbook with me all the time and there are some days when I don't use it at all, but I have to know it's there in case I need to draw or write something!



Ballpoint on Fabriano paper


What about you? Do you like sketchbooks and can you think of other reasons for starting using them?



Ideas for future paintings..








No comments:

Post a Comment